How to set up directors payroll
1. Getting started
All Limited Companies have access to directors payroll. You can start using it by going to Staff and salaries on the menu on the left of the page where you will have access to the feature.
2. Employer set up
Click on Staff and Salaries and then Get started. Type in the value for each field. You should be able to find all fields from different communication you have had with HMRC. If you are unsure of any of these please get in touch with HMRC.
If you make a mistake or enter these details incorrectly you can edit them by going to Settings and then Employer setup.
You can then edit the details and click save.
3. Adding the first director
1. Add the first director in order to finish the set up. First you will need to choose if this director is 'yourself', an 'existing employee' that already has access to expense claims or a 'new director', then confirm and continue.
2. Enter the director's details. You will only be able to enter a UK address. If the director lives outside of the UK you will not be able to use this service.
3. Enter employment details. It is important to note that Employee number must match any previous payroll software used. The only payroll intervals available are Monthly or Annually.
4. The next step is to enter information about taxes. This information can be taken from a P45, starter checklist or from the previous payroll software.
5. The final step is to invite the director so they have access to the payslips or to connect the director to an existing employee. If you selected yourself or “an existing employee” in step 1 then this step will be done automatically.
4. Adding additional employees or directors
If you have additional employees that you wish to add as well as the one added in the set up, then you can go to Employees under Staff and salaries in the menu on the left. You can then click on New Director in the top right and follow the same steps as creating the first director.
It currently isn’t possible to adjust the details of an employee if you make a mistake, so please contact support if you need to adjust any details.