How do I sign up my business for Making Tax Digital for digital VAT returns?
As of April 1st, 2019 most VAT registered business with a taxable turnover above £85,000 must keep digital VAT records and use an HMRC Making Tax Digital compliant software to submit their VAT returns.
It’s a common misunderstanding to think that your business will automatically be registered for Making Tax Digital. However, this isn’t the case, and you will need to register with HMRC for Making Tax Digital to be able to submit your VAT return online.
How do I register my business for MTD?
- Visit the MTD sign up page. If you would like to check whether you are already registered for MTD, you can do this here.
- Click on Start now
- You will then be asked 2 questions:
Do you have accounting software for managing your VAT records?
Is your software ready to submit your Making Tax Digital for VAT Returns directly to HMRC?
As you are using Bokio, you can answer yes to both of these questions.
- You will then be prompted to type in your Government Gateway user ID and password.
- You will then be able to sign up. It will take HMRC up to 72 Hours to process your application and respond to you.
- You will receive an email informing you that the sign up is complete. Don’t try and submit your VAT return before you have heard from HMRC.
You can also contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or join our Facebook group where entrepreneurs are helping each other