How do I sign up my business for Making Tax Digital for digital VAT returns?
As of April 1st, 2019 most VAT registered business with a taxable turnover above £85,000 must keep digital VAT records and use an HMRC Making Tax Digital compliant software to submit their VAT returns.
Before we get you started make sure that you have registered your company for VAT at the HMRC when you started your business:
- Sole Traders you need to register for Self Assessment. Find more information here
- Limited companies you need to register fir Corporation Tax. Find more information here
- Business partnerships you must register your partnership for Self Assessment. Find more information here
Once you get your VAT registration number, you will be able to connect Bokio to HMRC to keep digital records and file your VAT returns online.
How do I register my business for MTD?
To do so, you will need:
- your Government Gateway user ID and password
- the VAT number of the business that’s signing up
Then, you must log on to your business tax account in HMRC
To know more about the sign up process, find below a tutorial video guiding you step by step or go to the HMRC sign up guidance here
You can also contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or join our Facebook group where entrepreneurs are helping each other